I am the victim in a domestic violence case and I want to drop charges. Can I do that?

All criminal complaints are prosecuted on behalf of the State of California. Only the prosecutor can issue or dismiss charges. Although the decision whether to prosecute or not prosecute is ultimately up to the prosecutor, the victim’s opinion is important and the prosecutor will take those wishes into account when making his or her decisions regarding the case.

If you wish to submit a “Request for Dismissal” you must do so in person at the District Attorney’s Office and provide photo identification.